VAYUGULIKA also called as kasthooryadi gulika is an ayurvedic medicine in tablet form used mainly in digestive and respiratory diseases. This medicine is formulated based on Kerala Ayurveda practice. This medicine contains ingredients of herbal and mineral origin.
- Colic abdominal pain.
- Epilepsy and nerve disorders.
It balances the vata and kapha dosha at the level of the stomach and intestines. It facilitates the downward movement of vata dosha.
125 mg – 250 mg (1 – 2) tablets once or two times a day after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- This tablet itself is used as adjuvant along with other Ayurvedic medicines in wide variety of diseases.
- It is chewed along with juice of betel leaf.
- Trijata – Cinnamon, Cardamom and Cinnamon leaf
- Trikatu – Pepper, long pepper and ginger
- Vajranagvam – Purified Aconitum ferox
- Kasturi – Musk
- Jatiphala – nutmeg
- Hiravi – Mallotus philippinensis
- Pasupasi – Jatiphal ( Myristica fragrans)
- Agragrahi ( Anacyclus pyrethrum)
- Karpura ( Cinnamomum camphora)
- Ponkaram – Borax
- Chaliyam – Purified Cinnabar
- Vacha ( Acorus calamus)
- Anjana ( Berberis aristata)
- Karimpuvu – Clove ( syzygium aromaticum)
- Jiraka (Cuminum cyminum)
- Krishnajiraka ( Nigella sativa)
- Satakuppayum ( Asparagus racemosus)
- Iruveli ( Coleus amboinicus)
- Rasa – Purified and processed Mercury
- Rasna ( Vanda roxburghi)
- Dipyaka – ( Trachyspermum roxburghiannum)
- Manyolyum – Purified and processed Copper pyrite
- Madhuka ( Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Chinnamulukum – Sital Chini
- Kantha – Iron Bhasma
- Ksharadwaya – Yavakshara, Swarjakshara
Equal quantity of fine powder of above ingredients is ground with rose water and Bhringaraja swarasa (juice extract of Eclipta alba).
Vayu Gulika works the best with :
- Kanakasavam in breathing difficulty.
- Dasamoolajeerakarishtam in indigestion
- Nayyopayam kashayam for wheezing and asthma
- Bhadradharvyadi kashayam in asthma, rhinitis and hiccup
- Pippalyasavam in abdominal colic
- Tila kashayam to initiate periods
- Vayu Gulika is possibly safe and well-tolerated in most of the patients.
- Special care is required while administering this medicine to children and pregnant ladies.
- Men seeking infertility treatment better avoid this medicine, since it contains Kshara as ingredient, which may harm quality and quantity of sperm.
- It is advisable to take this medicine under the supervision of an ayurvedic physician.