Rasnadi Choornam is an Ayurvedic medicine in powder form, used to apply over the scalp, to relieve cough, cold, running nose, headache and sinusitis. This herbal powder is formulated based on Kerala Ayurveda tradition. For people who follow ayurvedic lifestyle, this choornam is considered as a lifestyle practice rather than being a medicine.
- Prevents sinusitis
- Cold and running nose
- Nasal congestion
- Heaviness of the head
It has both preventive and curative benefits. It prevents the seepage of water from the wet scalp into the sinuses preventing infection. It balances vata and kapha dosha.
For external application only.
1 pinch of choornam is directly applied over the crown of the head.
Traditionally it is made a paste with castor oil and applied over forehead.
Also can be rubbed over the scalp over bregma in catarrh, cold, etc as a preventive as well as a curative.
Can be mixed with boiled water or milk or lemon juiceand made into a paste and applied on the forehead for immediate relief in headache.
This may also be cooked in equal quantities of Vasa (Adathoda vasica) juice and breast milk with caster or other oils and applied over the crown.
- Rasna ( Pluchea lanceolata)
- Amukkura –Aswagandha- (Withania somnifera)
- Devadaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Katuka (Picrorhiza kurroa)
- Sarjarasa ( Vateria indica)
- Kottam- kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Vayampu – Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Gairika – Red ochre
- Nisha – Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Yashti – Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Bala ( Sida cordifolia)
- Mustha (Cyperus rotundus)
- Vyosha – Pepper, long pepper and ginger
- Puti (Holoptelea integrifolia)
- Sahasravedhi – Hingu (Ferula asa foetida)
- Jala – (Coleus vettiveroides)
- Ushira – (Vetiveria zizanioiders)
- Phenaka – Samudraphena
- Srikantha – Sandalwood – (Santalum album)
- Aguru (Aquilaria agallocha)
- Tintrini dalasira – veins of tamarind leaves (Tamarindus indicus)