Hinguvachadi choornam is an ayurvedic medicine in a powder form. It contains hingu (asafetida) as a main ingredient. It has a vatanulomana effect – a special quality to bring about the downward movement of vata. Its action is mainly on the digestive system and has a good palatability.
It is indicated in the following conditions
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Low back pain
- Headache associated with indigestion
- Abdominal pain
- Pain in the flanks/ region of the heart
- Pain in the bladder
- Non – bleeding Piles
- Diseases of the spleen
- Breathing difficulty
- Loss of appetite
- Irritable Bowel disease.
It acts as an appetizer as well as a carminative drug. It reduces vata and kapha dosha. It is highly penetrative in its effects and thus clears of any obstructions or adhesions.
3-5 gms with warm water or as directed by the physician.
This medicine has be taken with warm water, butter milk or any other kashayam according to the instructions of the ayurvedic physician.
- Shuddha Hingu ( Ferula asa foetida )– fried in ghee
- Vacha ( Acorus calamus)
- Vijaya ( Terminalia chebula)
- Pashugandha ( Cleome gynandra / Cleome viscose)
- Dadima ( Punica granatum)
- Dipyaka ( Trachyspermum ammi)
- Dhanyaka ( Coriandrum sativum)
- Patha (Cyclea peltata)
- Pushkara ( Inula racemosa )
- Shati ( Hedychium spicatum)
- Hapusha ( Sphaeranthus indicus)
- Agni (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Yavakshara ( Hordeum vulgare )
- Saindhava lavana ( Rock salt)
- Sauvarchala Lavana (Sochal salt)
- Vida Lavana ( Black salt)
- Shunti ( Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha ( Piper nigrum)
- Pippali ( Piper longum)
- Ajaji ( Cuminum cyminum)
- Chavya ( Piper chaba)
- Tintidika ( Rhus parviflora)
- Vetasamla (Garcinia Morella)
Recommended diet and lifestyle while taking Hinguvachadi choornam :
- Take a bland diet without spice, Salt and Sour taste is beneficial.
- Avoid intake of curd, alcohol, pickles, junk foods.
Hinguvachadi churnam works the best with :
- Sour buttermilk in Irritable bowel disease and gastritis.
- Dhanwantaram gulika in abdominal colic.
- Chiruvilwadi kashayam in non- bleeding piles.
- Chitraka granthikadi kashayam in Tumour
This medicine may not be taken in following cases:
- Person suffering from bleeding disorder
- In children under 5 years of age
- Male infertility
- A high dosage may cause stomach irritation and gastritis.
- Prolonged usage of this churna might lead to infertility as it contains kshara (alkali) as one of its ingredient.
- It is always better to consult an ayurvedic physician before taking any ayurvedic medicine.