It’s hard to know what to eat while you are running low on your energy levels with those awfully frequent bowel movements. Right food can lessen the intensity of your diarrhea but on the other hand some foods can also worsen it. Here is quick guide on what to eat and while you are suffering from diarrhea.
1 The BRAT diet
The BRAT diet includes bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
• Bananas: easy to digest, bananas aid in settling an upset stomach. The potassium rich bananas aid in replenishing electrolytes that are lost due to frequent bowel movements. Bananas are a rich source of soluble fibre called pectin that aids in absorption of liquid substances in the bowels. Bananas are also an excellent source of a prebiotic called inulin, it helps in the growth of good bacteria in our stomach and bowels. (To know more about probiotics Click Here)
• White Rice and mashed potatoes:The brown is not much helpful here. Owing to the low fiber content in white rice, the starch is easily digested uptil the digestive tract. The white rice and the mashed potatoes are to be eaten plain with no or very less butter as it can further irritate your digestive system.
• Applesauce: apples are also a very good source of pectin just like bananas. However, due to their high fiber content they are unadvisable during diarrhea. Applesauce or apple juice appeases the upset stomach.
• White toasted bread: it is beneficial to eat more of refined food when your stomach is upset. Refined foods are stripped of its outer husk layer, this layer eases the digestion process and that is exactly what you have to avoid. Your digestion system is already digesting food too fast.
2 Yogurt: it is generally suggested that dairy products are to be avoided when one suffers from diarrhea. However, yogurt that contains live cultures (Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum) is very good for your upset stomach. These live cultures are the good bacteria and aids in promoting healthy bacteria balance in the gastrointestinal tract.
3. Steamed Chicken:Steamed chicken is extremely bland and rich in proteins. A very good way to replenish the nutrient needs of the body. Only steamed chicken should be consumed while suffering from diarrhea, butter and spices should be avoided.
4. Tea: Warm cup of tea not just refreshes the entire body but also soothes an upset stomach. Herbal teas are even more beneficial in reducing inflammation and relaxation of the stomach muscles. More specifically, peppermint tea and chamomile tea are really helpful in relaxing an upset stomach.
• Chamomile Tea: Chamomile is a medicinal herbal plant. Chamomile tea has been known to reduce enteric inflammation and soothe intestinal cramps.
• Peppermint Tea: the calming effect of peppermint on the digestive system. It soothes the muscle lining along the digestive tract, thus reducing cramps. Peppermint also releases and reduces gas in the intestines.
5. Blueberries: since ancient times, dried blueberries have been used as a herbal plant for treating diarrhea. Eating dried blueberries or drinking tea made by boiling dried blueberries after squashing it for ten minutes helps a lot. Blueberries are rich in tannins which reduces stomach inflammation as well as secretion of mucose.
Diarrhea not just makes you feel weak but also takes away your hunger, however, it is very important that you eat the right food to recover fast and become strong again. So just eat right and get well soon!