A life with a disturbed digestive system is difficult. Constant burping, gas trouble, bloating, diarrhea, indigestion, an urge to pass stool at odd timings, reflux etc. ruin your peace. Needless to mention that a good majority of diseases start in the colon and a healthy colon
is an answer to a tormented body. Many of the digestive troubles can be traced back to an unhealthy diet and a careless lifestyle.
Digestion starts as early as you start putting a piece of food inside your mouth. It refers to how the food is broken down into smaller components with the help of teeth and saliva to be absorbed by the blood stream. The most important part of digestion takes place in the small intestine and it is there where the nutrients you have eaten get absorbed.
When you eat more than you need and too fast or foods which do not agree with each other you end up with indigestion
. Indigestion occurs occasionally to people of all age groups. Talk to you doctor if you vomit with blood in it, have horrible stomach ache, feel shortness of breath or have black stool. Acid Reflux
is a common problem among many of us. A sour taste in the mouth accompanied by burning sensation in the chest usually indicated heart burn or reflux. To know more about acid reflux read: Care Can Prevent Acid reflux and Heartburn
A stomach pain without a reason might indicate a peptic ulcer
. Abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting blood, loss of appetite and weight loss are the symptoms of peptic ulcer. Peptic ulcer can lead to serious complications like gastrointestinal bleeding .
Many people also have Lactose Intolerance,
which means they cannot metabolise lactose as they lack the enzyme lactase in their body. Such people are not considered sick and do not require treatment. They will have to avoid dietary lactose and get nutrient supplements like soy milk, almond milk, oat milk etc. which are lactose free.
There are herbs provided by Mother Nature to promote trouble-free digestive functioning. Look for a herb before you reach out for an OTC drug.
- Ginger is known to promote harmony and balance in the digestive tract. Chew a small piece of ginger if you have a digestive discomfort.
- Chewing peppermint will get rid of abdominal pain and nausea and facilitate digestion. It will take care of IBS, cramping, motion sickness, bloating and gas.
- German chamomile ( Matricaria recutita) with its antispasmodic properties can treat stomach cramps, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, diarrhea, gas and colic.
- To get rid of gas take rosemary.
- Children can be given fennel to help their digestive woes.
- Taraxacin in dandelion makes it a great digestive aid.
- Aloe vera is a laxative that can soothe.
- Cascara Sagrada is another that can deal with constipation.
- Dill, an ingredient in gripe water, can treat both indigestion and heart burn.
- Gentian, a bitter herb, helps to increase the digestive juices and cures digestive problems.
It is also necessary to avoid spicy and oily food if you have an easily irritable digestive system. Add a few cloves of garlic to your daily diet as permanent aid to your digestive system. Additional Reading Digestion and Its Abnormality: An Ayruvedic Perspective Digestive System