Boy! That is annoying. Any kind of itching is embarrassing and irritating and if it is anal itching, you squirm in your chair and you can’t do anything about it.
It worsens in warm climate and you have a tough time controlling yourself from scratching the itchy, inflamed skin.
You may feel an intense itching sensation due to many causes. If you can find out the right cause for your itching then you can easily get rid of it because it not a disease. Stool on the skin around the anal opening can be a simple reason for itching. Dry skin can make you itchy as the skin around the area is very delicate. In the same way, moist skin (sweating, leaking stool, diarrhea, use of laxative etc.) would cause you a lot of trouble and may even lead to soreness and burning sensation. Washing or wiping the area many times due to diarrhea and the like can make the skin sore and itchy. Food! Surprisingly, food irritants include spicy foods, beverages like coffee, tea, cola, milk, alcohol, chocolate, citrus fruits, vitamin C and tomatoes and some chemicals present in your food. Other than these, certain medications, infections, anal fissures, chemical irritants from your toiletries, skin disorders and hemorrhoids can lead to your discomfort.
Prevent anal itching to an extent by
- Practicing good hygiene. Wash thoroughly. Using damp toilet paper or wipes may help a great deal. And wear clean, loose cotton undergarments.
- Do not use soap and if you need to, use unscented ones. Forget bubble baths!
- Keep it dry. Do not use powders around the area.
- Eat fiber rich foods for easy bowel movements.
- For temporary relief use petroleum jelly or OTC ointments or creams. Anaesthetic and steroid creams should be avoided.
- Ask your doctor about any medications you are taking.
- A warm bath in the tub can soothe the itchy skin.
- Try witch hazel on the area.
- Do watch out for piles! If you find any lumps or if you see bloody stools do not hesitate to see your doctor.
- Stress can worsen all your problems. So, relax!
Looking for a natural remedy for anal itch? Click here.