One of the most common over the counter drugs in every country are ointments and gels which relieve back ache. In India, the most memorable ads are those of these back ache ointments. The vast segment of patients suffering from this condition makes it a lucrative option for therapy. But have you ever thought about it? Is it as simple as common cold or flu? Why does back pain re occur in most cases and cause further complications many a times?
I have been thinking on these lines since the last few days. I considered myself to be fit and fine helping me to be more active physically and mentally than most of my peers. Ever since my cesarean surgery last year, I have been experiencing pain in my lower back, the lower region of my spine. This pain is quite persistent but is very much tolerable and has not affected my routine to a great extent. Its just that I cant perform yogic asanas as effectively as I used to do and perhaps I cant run for long. There are small changes in life at every step and I was just getting used to my lower backache that suddenly I was unable to sleep one night….due to pain. Not lower backache but right from the lower neck till the lower back. The pain was so sharp that even turning around or lying down straight was crucifying.
On consultation with the orthopedic, I was perplexed since he said that the pain was on account of my working schedules. The cesarean had very less role to play in this pain as it was in the upper back too. Since I sit in front of my P.C for more than five hours at a stretch and have been careless to use a not so comfortable chair while doing so, I have always been in wrong posture an the body had finally started warning me. In fact all these days my husband and parents have been warning me about my wrong posture but I have been adamant on grounds of over confidence that nothing would happen to me. But now the time was up!!
The right diagnosis of back pain is very critical as there could be several reasons for the pain and the treatment differs with the underlying cause. Some reasons for back pain could be:
Solutions for back pain
1. Stay calm.
2. A complete bed rest for 24 – 48 hrs relieves back pain in most of the instances. Walk a little every few hours to keep the blood flowing and the muscles toned.
3. Applying vata balancing oil like ksheerabala oil on affected region and Naadi sweda (mild steam bath on affected area ) of affected region relives the pain quickly.
Tips for software professionals to avoid back pain
1. Select a correct chair, with a relatively straight back and good lower back support. If the chair doesn’t offer lower back support, keep a rolled up towel or cushion to support the back.
2. Correctly position the chair, keyboard, and monitor. Feet should be on the floor, with knees at hip level; forearms should form a right angle with upper arms; and the computer terminal should be at eye level.
3. Adopt a relaxed, upright working posture and allow the chair to support.
4. Avoid slouching forward or leaning back too far.
5. When you are at work stand up, walk around, stretch forward, backward, and side to side once in 30 minutes.
6. Increased stress and strain enhances the chances of back pain. Hence remember to relax! Yoga and meditation are best techniques to relax
Ayurvedic Home remedy for backache
Collect fresh leaves of Nirgundi and Karanja. Tie them in a thin cotton cloth to form a big ball . Boil this leaves’ ball in water and when it is tolerably hot apply this on affected part. When the leaves become cold reheat them by putting the leaves’ ball in boiling water. After half an hour take out the leaves from ball , grind them to a paste and bind it on affected area.