An allergic dry cough can be hard to get off, its a common problem and hence I attempt to offer you some tips here. The antigens in the environment like dust-smoke particles in the atmosphere/air, pollen, smell of certain flowers, chemical or natural sprays, proteins from certain foods, some allopathic drugs can cause Dry Cough. Intestinal worms also cause it.
Symptoms of Dry Cough
- Breathing difficulties, Recurrent Cough spells
- Mucous resembling frothy soap lather, after a coughing spell
- Whizzing sound heard in the lungs
- Sneezing and Irritating Nasal Drips
- Low Fever, chest heaviness, pain in calf muscles, and Chest pain.
- Lack of Sleep and Total Fatigue.
These symptoms are caused by Vitiated Vata Dosha accompanied by a mild imbalance of Kapha. You’ll also have bad breath which indicates an excess of “Ama (the dead energy)” under the attack of microbes giving rise to foul smell.
Ayurvedic Treatment for this type of Dry Cough
- Try and observe a fast for a day or two. Boil 1/2 tsp Ginger powder and 1/4 tsp Turmeric (Haldi) and reduce it to half. Keep sipping this decoction the whole day. Alternatively, you can also take Talispatradi Choornam or Sitopladi Choornam with hot water.
- Early morning, on an empty stomach – drink the ginger decoction above along with 3-4 tsp of Cold-pressed Castor Oil. All these suggestions have to be followed under the supervision of a qualified medical/ayurvedic practitioner. The fasting would increase the agni (the good digestive fire), and boost immunity also. The castor oil balances apana vata and eliminates the bad energy (Ama).
- For those who cannot fast, they can try and take a supplement under supervision (For example – 1 tablet each of Swaskas Chintamani Ras, mahalaxmi Vilas Ras, Trikant Mani Ras etc. The tablets’ effect is further potentized by mixing them together with 1-2 tsp of Haridrakhand Avaleha. If you cannot get these in the market – the simplest could be to mix 1/2 tsp of Pure Raw Turmeric with 1 tbsp of Honey)
Some lifestyle changes -
- Take Dinner early by 7.30 PM. Let the dinner be light. Do not stuff yourself and chew properly.
- Vegetables should not be cooked in oil. Try using cow ghee and that too, sparingly.
- After the attack is over, you may use sesame oil for cooking.
- Avoid all ground nut items, Pickles, Papad, Curd, Tomatoes, fermented foods, brinjal are
to be entirely avoided. Stop all legumes. Only permitted is green gram water, tempered with cow ghee. Tempering can have fenugreek, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, asfoetida.
- If there is disturbance in the sleep, try to compensate a little by taking nap during the day. Weakness increases by loss of sleep. The ghee/castor oil massage on soles at bedtime may help relaxing the nervous system.
Take care !
Subscribe to My Newsletter
Get more information on how to live a healthy lifestyle through natural remedies.